When Companies Fail Consultants


As a consultant, we're the hired guns, the experts brought into companies to help them deal with issues and bring the project successfully home. Being an overachiever, I am thrilled when I get the opportunity to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty.

So what happens when a consultant is put on an assignment and asked not to engage?

I know, some of you are scratching your heads.  Why would a consultant be asked to join an organization only to be asked to not engage?

Here's an actual example of something that I've experienced. 

I started a remote consulting assignment with a large financial institution. As a consultant I typically have about a short period of time to get up to speed and show productivity. On this assignment, I was asked to come in and bring a red project back on track.

The reality is that when I arrived on assignment, I was shifted around to a few managers, then provided a project that had already chewed up and spit out a couple of prior consultants.  

My latest manager has instructed me that I was not to engage with anyone on the project:  No emails, no meetings, nothing. I was only allowed to attend meetings, be quiet and take notes and that all my work assignments would be funneled through a single contact.  This is not the response that I was accustomed to receiving, being a senior level project manager.

It had been a few weeks and I was still awaiting after several requests, access to project documentation and project meetings, etc.  I know, most people would not complain but an overachiever wants to work and contribute. This assignment drove me crazy as I just sat there in my living room watching TV and taking any and all training courses offered on the company website in order to keep myself busy.

The Current Environment Unfortunately, I am seeing this more and more as H-1B Visa employees actually rise to management positions. I am seeing a lack of understanding from these managers than those that are US Citizens. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but they lack the fundamental understanding about the people in this country.   

Who do you go to?
I can tell you that your consulting firm has little or no interest in your well-being. All they care about is continued to get the commission off your hours. "Just put your best foot forward," was the response that I received when bring this up to the agency that I was working with. 

What to do?
If you're experiencing a similar situation, take a breath, watch a movie, and put your resume back on the market.